James Paulson's roll off roof observatory at the Sunridge Observatory site, taken in the summer of 1986, housing a 10 inch f/5 Cave Astrola Newtonian reflector telescope



Monday, August 3, 2009

Ex Luna Lux LPI


"From the Moon, Light via LPI"

This image is my first ever digital image, taken with the Meade LPI. It shows Mare Imbrium and Plato, Archimedes and Aristotle (craters). I shot this 2 days from full and was trying to capture the terminator, always a challenge when the moon is this bright.

Imaging with Envisiage is completely different from using 35 mm film, which was how I used to do this. Before we would bracket our exposures and wait days, and be at the mercy of the labs chemistry and density selections, that is, if the camera remained stable when the shutter opened. No more "hat tricks." Now with the PC, we have complete control over how the end result appears. I processed this a little using JASC Photo and cropped it a bit at the same time. I have tons to learn and lots of time to do it all.

It's not much, but I did it myself. It's good to be back in the imaging field again.

No comments:

Post a Comment