James Paulson's roll off roof observatory at the Sunridge Observatory site, taken in the summer of 1986, housing a 10 inch f/5 Cave Astrola Newtonian reflector telescope



Sunday, August 2, 2009

Law of Universal Expansion

One of the most interesting things about this forum is watching people grow, from asking that first question, to getting a new scope that they have chosen based on advice, to asking more questions, to the frustrations and the joys alike, it's just awesome to watch people grow. I've been around this hobby for a lot of years, and at one point I actually was bored with it, I had flatlined so to speak. But I think that CN has rekindled my interest a lot and the friendships I have made with people here are so invaluable. Where else can I go and talk with so many like minded people about things as mundane as mesquitos to scope selection, the joys and frustrations of the weather, a good nights viewing, etc.

I think when you really begin to appreciate the people here and the good advice that they have you begin to learn and develop that brain/eye/affective connection, new things open with the hobby and there is no room for boredom. When I am not working I live, breathe and enjoy astronomy in so many ways beyond just getting out under the night sky. I can see all of you with your scopes doing likewise, the variation between each instrument, and almost half-predict your frustrations with some things at times. To me, that is the ultimate appreciation of the hobby.

I don't recommend one scope over another for any reason than the individual using it. I think picking a telescope is a very personal decision. I think we all learn from our joys and frustrations alike and use that to learn from. I think I could do astronomy with ANY telescope, but doing astronomy with the telescope that minimizes all of those frustrations should be an important goal. How ambitious are you? How willing are you to endure the frustrations to achieve said goal? And when you do go through it, and get to the other side, are you willing to experience that feeling of this all being worthwhile? For me, it certainly is.

One of the reasons I write this blog is to share those personal experiences with you all, so that you can see what this is all about. You can see that there is no prize at the end, it just keeps growing and growing. It is the law of universal expansion in action.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jimmy, I see your clear sky clock is all blue, going out tonight. I am. I want to check out the moon.

    ReplyDelete